Sunday, May 25, 2008

How I Roll: Strategy Session I

I'm presently running 16/8/3 after 12k hands of 25NL, and I'm averaging about +4.5BB/100. All-in-all, I'm very happy with this situation. I think that my preflop leaks are pretty marginal, and I'm applying pressure positionally on the flop, collecting a lot of small pots in position.

By far my biggest leak is not shutting down on the turn and river when I should. There are far too many situations when I either:

Catch a hand OOP, donk into a pf aggressor, get raised, call. Donk again, get raised, call; repeat.
Catch a hand as an IP aggressor, get check-raised, call. Donked, call. Massive monkey-donk on river, call. In other words, I lose most of my chips in the worst possible way: to someone shouting in my face that they have a hand.

These are the kinds of situations where, if I had paid more attention to the action at the table, I might have had a sufficiently clear read on my opponent to shut down instead of donating a hard-earned stack.

There are different kinds of aggression in poker, and at the level I'm playing, most of it is scripted, because people aren't worried about table image or long-term meta-game, they just want to make the "high-percentage play" and get paid off in the long-run. This is obviously exploitable by anyone who reads the same books.

No comments: